Crossing over to the Aran Islands

imageOur ferry trip from Doolin to Ennis was anything but tranquil even though that was the boats name.  Starting out the sky was grey and the water was very choppy.  Charles gets seasick, but he managed to hold it together and stayed up on the top deck.  Many of our group had gone down into the seating area, myself included.  After about 15 minutes, I made my way outside.  I can honestly say that I have never been around that many people  loosing the contents of their stomach.  There was an older seaman going back and forth as he unrolled plastic bags to be handed out to those in distress.

As we neared The actual islands the water was less agitated but not the passengers.  Once we reached Ennis, most of us took van excursions to tour the island which is 3 miles wide and 11 miles long. Our driver told us that electricity was brought to the island in 1975.  Before that they had used candles and gas.

All of the excursions end up at an extremely old stone fort.  We climbed the road to go have a look.  They have some impressive cliffs which connect with the sea.  I will try to show those photos when I have access to my computer.

Charles and I made our way back to a small cafe and had some “soup and brown bread”.  We sat outside at a picnic table.  Since seating was limited, we were approached by two different couples, asking if they could join us.  The young man and woman were from Italy and the older couple were from an area a little above Dublin.  We had a delightful time talking together.  As the young couple prepared to leave, the older Irish gentleman told them not to forget to invite all of us to the wedding.  That brought a smile to the young girl’s face and there was banter about exchanging addresses.

We went over to a shop that had beautiful handmade sweaters hanging outside.  My plan had been to purchase one souvenir from this trip.  After seeing the quality of the sweaters, I made my purchase.  There are twenty women on the island who knit the wares sold in the shop.  The wool is from sheep bred in Ireland in the “low country” specifically for their wool.  My sweater was made by the mother of the woman who assisted me.

Our return trip to Ireland was made on a much larger ferry which was a relief to many stomachs.  From there, John had the two vans ready to take us to our hotel and dinner which was about 40 minutes of driving.

Our group is made up of twenty adults and two elementary aged children.  The two kids have been real troopers.  The boy, Eddie will be going into fourth grade.  His sister Abby will be going into sixth.  Both are good cyclists, but Eddie has a desire to be at the front of the pack and his parents  will remind him that he must be with an adult.  All that unbridled energy!!

The gal who broke her elbow took a flight out of Galway yesterday to return home.  We were all sad for her because she had planned on going on to Greece after the tour.  Another trip- Vicky.  So now we are twenty one.












Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s